There are so many kitchen gadgets out there, and that includes can openers. But you need to break into your canned food, and you don't want to deal with a manual can opener. That's why you need the best electric can opener.
The quick whir, and you're in! Electric can openers are much easier to use than manual can openers. But they're not as straightforward as manual can openers. There are different types of electric can openers, too.
Which is the best electric can opener?
What You Should Know About Electric Can Openers
When shopping for the best electric can opener, you might be overwhelmed by all of the options. Or maybe you want to know why you should choose an electric can opener over a manual one.
There are tons of questions you could ask about electric can openers.
If you want to know how to choose the best electric can opener, we've got the answers to some burning questions. Before you choose your next can opener, be sure you know what you want so you can choose the best electric can opener for you.
What is an electric can opener?
We've all had to open a can to get at our food at some point, you know you need a can opener of some kind. Probably the most common type of can opener is the manual can opener. They're simple, but they aren't necessarily the best.
They can be painful to use for some, and clumsy.
Electric can openers achieve this same goal but with the help of electric power.
What does it do?
An electric can opener makes opening cans much easier. It uses electricity to pull off the top of a can. You don't have to hold it on the can while turning a gear.
Some electric can openers hardly require any effort. You just put one on a can, and it spins off the top on its own.
How does it work?
Like a manual can opener, an electric can opener goes on around the lid of a can. However, you can usually press a button to remove the lid of your can.
Manual can openers require you to hold them in place while rotating a gear to remove the lid.
The best electric can opener doesn't require you to do anything except place it on a lid and turn it on.
Is it better than a manual can opener?
There are pros and cons to both types of can openers. Manual can openers are usually cheap and easy to come by.
While electric can openers are more expensive, they can take away the stress of opening cans. Especially if you have arthritis or joint pain, electric can openers let you open up cans without any pain.
So maybe they're not definitively better, but electric can openers are an amazing tool to have in your kitchen.
Why do you need a can opener?
Plenty of great foods come in cans. If you want to cook but don't want to deal with fresh produce, canned produce is an excellent alternative. Similarly, canned foods are great to have on hand for emergencies, because they don't perish like fresh foods.
If you want to actually get into your canned foods, then you need some sort of can opener. And if you hardly plan on using it, an electric can opener will save you a ton of stress when you do use canned food.
What should you look for in an electric can opener?
The best electric can opener is one that fits your needs. There are tons of electric can openers out there, and they all have different features to consider.
The first thing to consider is the blade. Ideally, you want a can opener with stainless steel blades so they won't rust.
Next up is size. If you don't have a ton of counter space, you need a small electric can opener.
Then, like with any product, you want a high-quality can opener. You don't want your new gadget to break after a few uses.
Another thing to consider is how the blade cuts open your cans. The two main types are top cut and side cut. Side cut can openers usually give you smoother edges. So they're safer if you have children around.
However, if you like to drain liquid directly from the can, a top cut can opener will let you do just that.
Finally, think about what cans you want to open. Cans come in all different sizes, and you need a can opener that can open a variety of cans.
Where can you buy one?
You can buy an electric can opener from a variety of places. Many home goods stores that sell kitchen gadgets will probably have an electric can opener as well. You can also look online on websites like Amazon.
If you do decide to shop in store, don't be afraid to call ahead to make sure the store has what you need.
How much does one cost?
You could get a can opener for as little as $. However, some electric can openers cost over $$$. But the best electric can opener isn't always the most expensive one.
So be sure you have a budget in mind so that you can narrow your search but still choose a great can opener.
How We Reviewed
We looked high and low to find the best electric can opener. First, we started with expert reviews. We wanted to know what can openers ranked well, and we found a couple of expert reviews. Those reviews helped us find a few can openers, but we couldn't ignore customer reviews.
While experts usually have trustworthy opinions, customer reviews are also important. You never know if experts have some hidden bias. But customers usually give you their honest opinion about a product.
Some of the can openers that experts recommended had some bad customer reviews. So those can openers didn't make our list.
We, of course, used expert lists as inspiration, but customer reviews, as well as overall features, had a mores significant influence on our list.
The Best Electric Can Opener
Now that you know what to look for in a can opener as well as how much you might have to pay, you probably want to know what we think is the best electric can opener.
We found a bunch of options with different features and at different price points. And we also considered brand recognition and other factors.
At the end of the day, we can't make your decision for you, but we hope you can use our list to find the best electric can opener for you.
- Removable, washable cutting unit
- SureCutTM patented technology opens cans the first time, every time
- Knife sharpener, Automatic shutoff
- Cord storage
- Extra-tall design, Dimensions (inches): 10.24 H x 5.12 W x 6.9 D
The Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Heavyweight Can Opener is an excellent electric can opener. It has a removable cutting unit so you can easily wash the blade. Hamilton Beach says that the blade is sharp enough to open cans on the first try.
The can opener also comes with a knife sharpener, and it shuts off automatically. It measures 10.24 inches high by 5.12 inches wide and 6.9 inches deep.
Cord storage is another handy feature of this electric can opener. You can use the can opener with different sized cans, though you will have to hold the can and opener, so the opener doesn't tip over. This can opener opens the inside edge of cans.
At $ to $$, this might be the best electric can opener for anyone on a budget. It's Amazon's Choice for electric can openers, and customers give it an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- This can opener will easily open all standard-size cans and cans with pop-top lids.
- Side-cutting system removes top and leaves a smooth edge
- Easy-touch opening lever; attractive design
- Stainless-steel kitchen scissors and storage slot included
- Measures approximately 5 by 4 by 9 inches; 1-year warranty
Another from Hamilton Beach, the Smooth Touch Can Opener is versatile and has a clean look. You can use the can opener with traditional cans and pop-top lids. This side cut can opener removes the top and gives you a smooth edge.
The opening lever is easy to use, so you don't need to spend time fussing with it just to open a can. This can opener also comes with stainless steel kitchen scissors and a storage slot. The Smooth Touch can opener measures five by four by nine inches, and it comes with a one-year warranty.
At $30 to $40, this can opener is a bit more expensive than the other one from Hamilton Beach. However, the slimmer design means you can store it in smaller places. A top choice on Amazon, the average customer rating is 4.6 out of 5 stars.
- Electric can opener with precision Power Cut blade
- Press-and-release lever for easily opening any standard-size can
- Extra-wide base prevents sliding or tipping; stops automatically
- Magnetic lid holder; removable activation lever; easy-to-clean design
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards
Cuisinart's Deluxe Electric Can Opener uses a precision blade to cut open cans every time. It has a press and release lever that makes it easy for you to open standard sized cans. The extra wide base keeps the can opener from falling over, and it turns off automatically.
This can opener also has a magnetic lid holder to keep the lid out of your food. There's also a removable activation lever that makes cleaning a breeze. The Cuisinart can opener fits North American Electrical Standards, so you can rest easy knowing it's safe.
This can opener measures about 5.89 by 6 by 10.89 inches, and it comes with a three-year warranty.
You can buy the Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener for $ to $$. The average customer rating is 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- GET YOURS BEFORE WE SOLD OUT. Everyone is loving theirs so our stock won't last long! Grab yours now or regret forever. Perfect for Holiday cooking or gifts.
- EVEN YOUR CAT CAN OPEN THE CAN. Press. Watch it open the can. Press again. Just like that! Imagine how easy it could be that even your lovely kitten can open her food. This one can open all your cans in no time, hassle-free!
- NO CONTAMINATION, LEAVES SOFT EDGES, 100% SAFE TO USE. The blade cuts in the side of the can and on the top so it doesn't touch the food. It does not leave any sharp edges so you're 100% safe! It keeps both the place and food clean.
- PERFECT OBLONG SIZE FOR HOLDING AND STORING. It will not take too much space in your drawers! The shape is very ergonomic to fit your hand easily and is not bulky at all.
- SUPER EASY, NO MORE FIGHTING WITH YOUR CAN OPENER! - You know what makes it quick? Fact is, it has 2HP motor speed just enough to cut the can quickly. Plus its super sharp blade!
The Kitchen Mama Automatic Electric Can Opener is perfect for anyone who wants a "walking" can opener. You just put the can opener on your can, press a button, and watch it go to work. It can open a variety of cans quickly and easily.
The blade leaves soft edges, and it won't touch your food. Its oblong shape makes the can opener easy and comfortable to hold, and it won't take up much space in storage.
This can opener works quickly so don't have to wait too long to get into your food. It's great if you have a hard time gripping other can openers, and it also lets you focus on other things in your kitchen.
The can opener measures about 7 by 1.5 by 2.5 inches, and you can buy it for $15 to $25. Amazon customers give it an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- 【Convenient to Use and Dependable】Effortlessly open cans of any size by pressing of the gray button and stop by pressing once more. Perfect for seniors and the people with Arthritis
- 【Smooth Edge】Innovative side-cutting system removes the top of any can and creates a resealable smooth edge lid
- 【Easy to Clean】Wipe with a damp cloth to clean, please note that Do Not Rinse The Battery Part
- 【Power By】2×AA batteries (not included)
- 【Size】Measures approximately 6.7×2.4×1.6 inches. Small in size and Light in weight
The instecho Electric Can Opener opens a variety of cans with the touch of a button. You can also stop the can opener with the touch of a button. It uses a side cut to remove the top of a can, and you can even reseal the lid.
The blade makes a clean cut, and it keeps the lid from falling into the can and contaminating your food. This can opener uses stainless steel and ABS plastic as two of its main materials.
The can opener needs two AA batteries to operate, and it measures 6.7 by 2.4 by 1.6 inches. That small size makes it great for small kitchens.
All you need to clean it is a damp cloth. Just be careful not to wipe around the battery.
With an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars, Amazon customers love this can opener. You can buy it for $ to $$.
- Multi-function electric can opener - This can opener electric is extra tall design and you can open small,large,tall canned food in seconds.Bottle Opener: a bottle opener on the back make it is easy to open drink lids.Knife Sharpener: a knife sharpener can sharpened your dullest knife like new.
- Safe smooth edge cut system: Electric can opener blade cuts in the side of the can and on the top, it has a magnetic button stops the lid from falling into the can so it doesn't touch the food. IMORTANT, our can opener does not leave any metal shavings edges, so you're 100% safe! And the removable metal cutting lever design for easy clean and dishwasher safe.
- Sleek and convenient design - This tins automatic can opener looks sleek, match model counter. It replaces other traditional tools to help you convenient open cans and save kitchen storage space, designed with cord storage is convenient for store.
- Auto turn off - This electric can opener can automatically turn off when finish cutting, make your hand free. Electric Operation for effortlessly with no wrist or hand pain.
- 2-year warranty - Great warranty service for 2 years to ensure that no worries if you meet any problem, just feel free to contact us.
If you want a tall can opener that also has a knife sharpener, look no further than the AICOK Electric Can Opener. This can opener can also open pop-top cans and bottles, and the blade leaves a smooth edge.
It's tall enough to open cans of all sizes, and the included knife sharpener means you don't have to go and buy extra gadgets for your kitchen.
The blade cuts cans on the top, and the can opener has a magnet that keeps lids from falling into their respective cans. You can take advantage of the automatic shut off feature so you can focus on other tasks in the kitchen. And the sleek design means you can store it right on your counter.
This can opener comes with a two-year warranty, and it costs $ to $$. Amazon customers give it an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
- DETACHABLE CUTTING LEVER: Easily rinse off the cutting unit
- EXTRA-TALL DESIGN: Open cans from small to large
- AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF: The unit will turn off automatically after cutting the can
- TWO TOOLS IN ONE: A knife sharpener at the base makes the can opener multi-functional
- CORD STORAGE: A cord storage area at the base of the unit helps keep countertops and cabinets clutter-free
The Hamilton Beach Compact Can Opener is great for anyone who wants a quality product that doesn't take up much space. It's a walk'n'cut can opener that runs on a charge.
You can use it to open different sized cans, and it shuts off automatically which means you can use it hands-free. The cutting lever comes off so you can clean it easily, and you can use the cord to charge it overnight.
This can opener measures 5.7 x 4.6 x 9 inches making it super portable and easy to store.
The Compact Can Opener costs $ to $$, and the average customer rating is 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Power Pierce Cutter- Quickly remove can lids with the power pierce cutter that does all the work for you. Dimensions : 8.4 x 5.5 x 8.3 inches
- Multi-Tool- More than just a can opener, this versatile tool includes a bag cutter, bottle opener, and knife sharpener
- Space Saving-The multi-purpose tool saves space on your countertop by attaching to the underside of cabinets for convenient access
- Swing-Open Door- All the great features are concealed behind a swing-open door that gives the unit a sleek look, plus, the power cord stores in the back of the unit so you can use the exact length you need without creating clutter
- Auto Shutoff - The unit shuts off when not in use. No need to worry about power switches
The Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener from BLACK+DECKER will save you space and money. It combines multiple kitchen tools into one so you don't have to buy and store each separately.
Specifically, you get a can opener, bag cutter, bottle opener, and knife sharpener all in one. A swing door gives the unit a sleek look when you aren't using it, but you can open the door to access any of the features. It has a powerful blade that will give you a nice cut each time.
The can opener shuts off automatically, so you don't have to worry about a power switch. This can opener measures 6.5 by 7.5 by 5 inches, and you can attach it to the underside of your cabinets for easy access and storage.
The BLACK+DECKER can opener costs a bit more than the others on our list, but it has a lot of features that you won't find on cheaper models. You can expect to spend $$$ to $$$ on the multi-purpose tool. Customers love it though since the average rating is 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Twist-off cutting lever for easy clean-up
- Designed to open many different can sizes
- Automatic shutoff for easy, hands-free operation
- Cord storage
- Knife sharpener
The Proctor Silex Plus Extra-Tall Can Opener might be the best electric can opener. It has a sharp blade the cuts cans on the first try, and you can take the blade out for cleaning. The tall can opener also features a knife sharpener.
This can opener is quiet, and a magnet keeps lids from falling into the can. And it's tall enough to work with a variety of cans. You can use the tool with one hand, and the white color is unique but sleek.
The Proctor Silex can opener costs $ to $$, and customers on Amazon give it an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
In the Can!
If you're looking for the best electric can opener for the money, you might be overwhelmed by the options. The ones we featured barely scratch the surface of can openers.
However, there are a few on our list that stand above the rest.
If you want a fully decked out tool, the best electric can opener is the BLACK+DECKER tool. You can use it for more than just opening cans, and it attaches to your countertop.
But we understand most people probably don't want to spend hundreds on a can opener. We think the best electric can opener under $$$ is the instecho Electric Can Opener. It has amazing customer reviews, and you can't beat the price.
Finally, we have to remind you to consider your needs when choosing a can opener. Some people want a tall opener, but others may want a walking can opener.
The decision is yours, but we hope you learned a little something from our review.