Doing the dishes might be a daily annoyance. Still, investing in the dish rack was a wise decision for me! I don’t mind washing the actual dishes, but drying that wet crockery and then putting it away is an awfully tedious task.
Putting the dishes upside-down in a tray or basket would mean that some water is always left at the bottom. Besides, drying them manually can be a hassle if you’re doing it on a daily basis.
Plus, leaving all the dishes out to dry creates an unsightly pile in the kitchen for everyone to see. Manual drying also runs the risk of leaving smudges, thus undoing all your good work.
Fortunately, getting the best dish rack allowed me to not only safely stack the washed dishes in a neat and organized manner, but also to let them dry without any additional hassle.
Want to get a dish rack that lightens up your house chores? Let’s explore how you can choose the absolute best dish rack for your kitchen needs:
Simplehuman Steel Frame Dish Rack
Neat-O Deluxe Dish Rack and Drainer
OXO Good Grips Convertible
Sagler Wooden Dish Rack
iPEGTOP Dish Rack
Better Chef Dish Rack
AMAZAKI Tower Wire Dish Drainer Rack
Rubbermaid AntiMicrobial In-Sink Dish Drainer
Overall Pricing of the Top Dish Racks Available
However, we might estimate that the average price range of the dish rack you can get for your kitchen will be between $14 and $100.
How We Reviewed the Best Dish Rack Options
To make things easier for you in our search for the best dish rack, we’ve reviewed a few of the top options available on the market right now. This selection is based partly on the ratings for each item on Amazon.
We didn’t choose anything that got less than 4 out of 5 stars as we wanted to provide you only the top choices available.
In addition to the ratings, we’ve also made sure that each dish rack here has a decent construction, durability, and a great performance in the kitchen. Some of the more high-end choices are quite pricey. That’s why we’ve included more reasonable options as well.
Dish Rack Hunting: The Top 10 Choices
Let’s come to the reviews now, so you can start shopping for a more efficient kitchen experience:
Simplehuman Steel Frame
- INNOVATIVE DRAINAGE SYSTEM - An integrated drip tray with a swivel spout pivots to keep water flowing directly into the sink, not onto the countertop.
- ANTI-RESIDUE HYDROPHILIC COATING - Causes water to spread so that the plastic tray dries more quickly and prevents residue buildup.
- INTEGRATED WINE GLASS RACK - Safely hangs up to 4 extra-large Bordeaux wine glasses so they dry quickly and efficiently.
- EXTENDABLE DRIP TRAY - Pulls out below the cup holders to catch drips.
- UTENSIL HOLDER - Separate compartments keep utensils neat and organized.
There’s nothing that can really beat the good old stainless steel dish rack. We’re talking about the simplehuman Steel Frame Dishrack that comes with the bonus of a handy tray underneath.
This isn’t just any old tray, but one with an innovative spout design for convenient drainage. You can swivel the spout to just the right position, ensuring that the countertop and floor remain dry.
This smart, thoughtful piece of designing also includes a coating of anti-residue, which will prevent any buildup of water. The result is minimal fungal growth or any other bacterial encroachments. Along with a main space for plates, there are separate compartments for drying your cutlery and other utensils.
The walls on the sides provide protection and an elegant appearance. Since they’re not porous, you might have less aeration.
Apart from this, the Amazon rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars is well-deserved.
Neat-O Deluxe Dish Rack and Drainer
- Chrome finish combines elegance with functionality
- Color coated wire base to protect dishes, and increase stylish
- Small-sized drainer with slots to hold up more than 8 dishes
- Detachable plastic cutlery cup
- Measures 12-3/4 by 14-1/4 by 5-1/4 inches approximately
One of the simplest and most functional options for the dish rack is the Neat-O Deluxe option. This one has a sleek design with chrome plating for a no-rust experience. Since its compact, you should be able to fit it inside a standard sink easily.
The capacity of this dish rack is of about eight plates. You can even keep the thick or deep plates in it. There’s also another removable plastic holder for the thinner, sharper items such as forks and knives. The base here is of black rubber, which provides a stylish touch and prevents scratching or slipping. All this justifies the Amazon rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
What we don’t like is the lack of a tray, without which the water can drip directly onto the counter. However, as this is mostly an in-sink option, it doesn’t really matter.
OXO Good Grips Convertible
- Dimensions closed: 19.4 inches x 12.5 inches x 3.875 inches. Pvc not present
- Plate rack folds down to make room for large bowls, cookware and more
- Legs fold out to elevate Dish Rack and spout opens to drain directly into sink. Open dimensions is 19.4 x 15.5 x 5.125 in inches. Closed dimensions is 19.4 x 12.5 x 3.87 in inches
- Tines hold cups, mugs or wine glasses inside Rack to prevent dripping on the counter
- Side walls, legs and spout fold for compact, standing storage in cabinet. Utensil cups are removable and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.Made from BPA-free plastic and sleek stainless steel
The unique aspect of the OXO Good Grips Convertable Dish Rack is its transformative quality. It can fold up, unfold easily, and generally give you the form you need at the moment.
The plate holders can become slots, or you can fold them down to hold large pots and pans. The spout is also customizable for any direction.
We especially love the rows of stemware holders on the sides, which enable the drying of cups, glasses, and several other items. With two clear plastic containers, each divided into three further compartments, we have plenty of space for everything.
The porous base of the utensil holder will give the best drying experience. Therefore, the Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars is justifiable.While the plastic body of OXO dish rack is sturdy enough, it still shouldn’t be overloaded with stoneware.
- price is a limited time offer, and this is 100% satisfaction guarantee
- bamboo dish rack Light wood color Quality dish drainer
- dish racks foldable for easy storage best dish rack
- dish drainer rack is easy to wash-mild soap and water; doesnot stain
- dish dryer Features 14 slots that can hold full size dinner plates.
The Sagler Wooden Dish Rack is made of wood, which immediately sets it apart from most of the best dish racks available today. It’s collapsible, easy to store, and made of bamboo wood for a lasting and mold-resistant experience.
With a two-level design, you have about 14 slots for the plates. Cleaning this rack isn’t an issue, as you can simply use mild soap and water.
This unique option has a decent Amazon rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, which is enough to tell you about its performance.
While the wooden construction does mean that you run the risk of splinters, a little care is all you need. The lack of rust is a great boon at the end of the day, especially if you live in a tropical or humid climate.
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE- With two different style drainboards, a microfiber mat, three separate cup holder attachments & a cutting board attachment that can be placed at your choosing. The top shelf of the unit can be flipped from side to side, moved from front to back, or taken off completely, totally up to you. It also comes with a wide utensil holder and a knife holder attachment which can have its top removed to hold sponges or more utensils. All units in 2019 now come with new side drainage.
- 304 STAINLESS STEEL- This dish rack is made of a high quality 304 stainless steel. This high grade 304 stainless steel has excellent resistance to a wide range of atmospheric environments (coastal areas) and can withstand corrosion from most oxidizing acids. That durability makes 304 easy to sanitize, and therefore ideal for kitchen and food applications. This high-grade stainless steel will prevent rust and will last through the roughest of conditions. The product passed a 24-hour salt test.
- PERFECT TO IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS- Yes, quality does matter! (especially when you are trying to impress someone) Don't just get another cheap dish rack. Get one that will last a lifetime and will provide value to your family.
- BUILT TOUGH- We made this dish drainer as sturdy as can be. Don't worry about a wobbly top shelf, our dish rack is built tough and will not break
- SIZE MATTERS- Perfection can come in all different shapes and sizes, including this bigger than average dish rack measuring @ 18" long x 11.5" tall x 13" wide (21" with side drainage system)
PremiumRacks has come out with this professional-level dish rack, which can make your dishwashing experience a whole lot easier. If you have heavy dishes or a whole lot of them need drying at once, the cheaper racks might not last you for long. With an Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, this choice will change up your kitchen experience.
This rack is different from others in its flexibility. You can change it into a double-decker, fold away the top, install it on the side, or even the back of the bottom unit for more versatility. There’s even a place for your cutting board.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: Large capacity, designed to drain over any sink or atop a drying mat on the countertop, this dish rack can handle assorted dinnerware such as plates, bowls, and cups and full sized pots and pans
- HIGH QUALITY: Heavy-duty, satin-coated, rust-resistant wires secure items and soft feet keeps dish rack from scratching countertops
- EASY DRAINING: Self-draining board is designed with the perfect pitch, to avoid water pooling in the rack and is removable for easy cleaning
- HIGH-CAPACITY STORAGE: Removable flatware caddy, with built-in, dishwasher-inspired handle and adjustable compartments for cutlery and specialty items
- EASY TO CLEAN: All parts are removable and easy to hand wash when needed. This dish rack comes with a 1-year hassle free replacement and Lifetime Limited Warranty
KitchenAid is a well-known name when it comes to kitchen appliances, and this dish rack provides the same quality. With an Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, this full-sized rack gives you a multi-functional experience. It also has a large capacity and in-sink option.
The KitchenAid dish rack comes with a stain coating which makes it a rust-resistant model.
There might be some rusting issues with this rack, even when you get the newer version. However, keeping it as dry as possible should limit that problem.
iPEGTOP Expandable Deep
- 3-in-1 FUNCTION - This dish drying rack expands for use on the counter, in the sink or over the sink. Non slip extendable rubber arms and feet protects the counter and sink from scratches.
- HIGH-CAPACITY STORAGE - Much deeper to holds up to 9 plates and dishes better, detachable black plastic silverware holder is suitable for knives\cutter\forks\spoon\cutter. Drains and dries utensil, mugs, cups, vegetable and fruits in the basket.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Made from top sturdy 304 Stainless Steel, eliminates rust, corrosion, acids and alkali damages to ensure long lasting durability.
- EXTENDABLE & SUITABLE for Different Size Sink - The unit (collapsed) measures 15.8"(40cm) L x 11.8" (30cm) W x 5.1"(13cm) H, expands from 15.8" to 22.2" wide to make it handy to place over a larger sink, fit your sink which is 16 to 22 inches width.
- 5-YEAR RUST FREE GUARANTEE - Guarantee never rust, proved by 24-hour Salt Tests.If you are not satisfied with the product, please contact us, we will refund you unconditionally.
This iPEGTOP entry is an expandable dish rack which is an excellent option for in-sink, over-sink, or on-counter preferences. It has a utensil holder that is made of stainless steel. The Amazon rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars is enough to assure us of its performance.
According to reviews, it’s also an excellent choice for those who are low on counter space.
The only downside seems to be the size, with the tray being shallow and the silverware bucket quite small. Luckily, there is the option of hanging a larger bucket to accommodate all your utensils.
Better Chef Dish Rack
- Rust resistant chrome plating
- Metal construction with attractive red finish
- Non-marring silicone coated feet protectors
- Includes plastic draining tray, side mounting mug stand, and cutlery holder
- Holds up to 18 plates or bowls.
The Better Chef Dish Rack is a two-tier option available in red or blue color. With an Amazon rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars, this is an excellent choice for those who want both function and appearance. The feet are coated with silicone, which prevents slipping and countertop scratches.
It’ll provide a high-end look without the accompanying sticker shock. You also get a cutlery holder, side-mounted mug stand, and a plastic draining tray.
Though the appealing design of this dish rack is unbeatable, it may be a bit unstable with too much weight.
YAMAZAKI Tower Wire Dish Drainer Rack
- MODERN DESIGN: This Yamazaki dish drainer has a clean and sleek design that will look great in your kitchen and combines style with functionality. This rack can fit plates, cups, and silverware.
- SMALL AND COMPACT: Features a small and compact design that will fit by your sink without taking up too much counter space.
- SELF-DRAINING BOARD: It comes with a removable self-draining tray that avoids water pooling in the rack. It comes with an adjustable spout that can rotate in any direction, allowing excess water to drain directly into the sink.
- DIMENSIONS: Made of high-quality steel. The dimensions are 9.1 x 16.5 x 6.7 inches.
- BRAND: Yamazaki brings thought and creativity to everyday items through design inspired by life in Japan. This item is from Yamazaki's Tower line, which focuses on clean lines and modern
This YAMAZAKI offering comes in black or white, whichever you feel is better for your kitchen. It has a modern compact design, a self-draining board, and high-quality steel construction. The Amazon rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars is impressive as is the combination of style and functionality with this option.
Overall, we like the fact that this is suitable for small kitchens, yet strong enough to hold heavy dishes.
Keep in mind: If you have deep plates, the slots here might not be wide enough
Rubbermaid AntiMicrobial In-Sink Dish Drainer
- Drainer fits into most sinks to neatly organize your dishes for drying after they have been washed.
- Holds up to 13 plates and 6 glasses with angled plate holders to separate china for quick drainage.
- Built-in Microban antimicrobial protection fights the growth of stain- and odor-causing bacteria to keep your rack and dishes looking and smelling fresh.
- 1-piece plastic-coated wire construction is sturdy to hold stoneware plates securely, but cushions and protects dishes and sinks from scratches.
- Made in the USA.
This Rubbermaid dish rack has an antimicrobial shield against any possible contamination. You don’t want your dishes having a smell after they dry in your dish rack, right?
In order to avoid any bacteria, an antimicrobial option is necessary. After all, the kitchen sink is a haven for all sorts of microbes, with moisture and food scrap aplenty.
With metal wire and plastic coating, this rack is strong enough to hold all kinds of dishes. The Amazon rating is 4.0 out of 5 stars, which is good enough for us. However, you should keep in mind that there’s no tray or mat included, as this is an in-sink design.
Each Dish Rack Is Unique: How to Choose the One Made for Your Kitchen
Having the dish rack means that you can dry your dishes without worrying about rust or mold forming on any utensils. This way, you get to keep your high-end knives and wooden spatulas in pristine condition.
However, it’s true that not every dish rack is made in the same manner. Each model might be the dish rack for a certain number of people, for specific types of dishes, or other influencing factors.
To maximize your kitchen efficiency, you need to make the right choice here. A basic dish rack might not cost much. Still, it’s an investment that you’d rather make once a few years. Therefore, you should consider the important factors below so you can make the most logical choice:
For some, the dish rack would be one that fits right inside the sink. That lets the water drip safely down the drain, leaving a minimal cleanup for you later on. Others might prefer to have the dish rack by the side of the sink or somewhere else on the kitchen counter.
Some homeowners might want a dish rack that folds away neatly when it’s not required. When you have a dishwasher, you might not even need a dish rack unless you’re washing a delicate utensil by hand.
For in-sink dish racks, you want to keep the size in mind to make sure the rack fits where you want it. For the counter, your top priority might be how the rack contributes to the aesthetics of your kitchen.
A rack that doesn’t go in the sink will need some sort of drainage for the dripping water, so you should be sure to get the one with a proper mechanism. There are usually slopes for directing the water outwards or a drainage tray that slopes for this purpose.
You might think that the best disk racks are those simple constructions made from steel wire. With technology making progress, dish racks have also evolved into several modular structures.
You might be able to get models that have adjustable shelves, removable parts, and other features that make the structure and function extremely versatile. If you’d prefer to go for a simple, sturdy dish rack without any bells and whistles, there are still several reliable options.
Plastic, stainless steel, and a bit of rubber for stability are the most common materials a dish rack comprises of. For choosing the best dish rack ever, though, you can also consider other materials. Once you’ve known the pros and cons of those materials, you can make a decision accordingly.
Many would prefer a plastic rack due to their versatility and no-rusting aspect. However, these aren’t too easy to clean once they get grimy, so you might not want them gunking up your clean dishes.
Plus, plastic racks aren’t too robust which also means that your stoneware dishes wouldn't have a home. Moreover, the cheap kind of plastic racks can easily crack if there’s a huge load of dishes on them.
Stainless steel options are better in terms of durability and sturdiness, but they also come with their downsides. You'll have to make sure the models are chrome-plated, or you might face rusting sooner rather than later.
There are also wooden dish racks available, but these do present the chance of mold or mildew. However, they have a charmingly rustic appearance.
The dish rack isn’t always the one with the most features or the one that looks like a decoration piece.
Take a look at the number of dishes you have to wash every day, and then see if any dish rack can comfortably accommodate them without taking up unnecessary space.
You know how much counter space you have, which will give you an idea of the size you want in your dish rack. You should keep in mind that a larger dish rack might not automatically have a larger capacity. That’s why you can also go for two-tier or even three-tier dish racks if you have less space but lots of dishes.
If you use a lot of utensils, you’ll need proper space for drying them all. The same goes for cups, plates, and any other dish that will usually take up room in the dish rack. Since the best dish racks come with varying capacities for every item, you have a lot of choices to consider before placing an order.
The Rack Your Dishes Deserve the Most
When you set out to choose the best dish rack for the heart of the home, any of the options above would be a great choice.
The final decision, of course, depends on your individual needs and requirements. If you want a dish rack that would do just about everything, we recommend the OXO Good Grips Convertable Dish Rack. This dish rack has a place for everything and can transform into the handiest tool in a moment.
Looking for a more reasonable and simpler option? We can’t resist the Sagler Wooden Dish Rack, which will give you a place for your dishes without compromising the look of the kitchen.
So, are you ready to get one of these great dish racks? Tell us about which one you choose in the comments!
Featured Image via Unsplash